Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Last Firsts



I think I start to get a little weepy thinking about it this being the "last firsts"… My husband has decided no more kids (at least for the moment).  It is probably a fairly fair statement, especially after the week we’ve had with 2 out of 3 being sick, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, eye appointments, etc.  There is really no time for work!!! 

But I still start to get a little sad thinking about this being the last round of firsts for us…  C is moving right ahead, he’s had his first bath, his first ride on an airplane, his first solids, he scooted for the first time, crawled for the first time, had his first cheerios.   He’s standing up on things and very proud of himself.  Maybe it’s just that pure joy to see someone truly believe that anything is possible and not realize that someone telling you you can’t do something isn’t really true.

My other 2 have started to believe they ‘can’t’ do something, and I really don’t want them to feel that way EVER.  We talk about it a lot, we talk about how saying can’t really isn’t true- that no matter what, together, we can find a way to make it happen, sometimes you just need a little help.  You might not be perfect every time and you may not every really be good at some things you try and do, but nothing should hold you back. 

And to me, that can be the best lesson they could ever learn in life and can take them so far.   I think we should all take a little lesson from C, and every time I try to tell myself I can’t do something either, I just need to take a look at the smaller picture and imagine him, for the first time, picking up that cheerio and actually hitting his mouth.  Ah, it’s like magic.

2 comments:

  1. Wow 3 little kiddies at home! How many do you want to have? I don't have children yet...but no I want to start a family one day. When did you have your first? It sounds like from your post you are doing some excellent parenting...helping them get out of the "I can't do it" mindset, reframing their thinking and instilling a bit of confidence can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww what a nice posting! I totally agree! One of the most valuable lesson my parents ever gave me was the believe that there is nothing that I cant do. Some thing will be more difficult, challenging or might never come out totally right, but I will never give up without at least trying it. It’s a mindset I wish to pass on to my kids!

    ReplyDelete