Sunday, October 14, 2012

Satellite Radio




Since having my posse and moving out of the state where I grew up, one of the biggest changes in my life is the time I have for my old friends. Working full time and just doing our day to day stuff makes our plate already full.  I do manage to catch up with my college buds though about once a year, even if it is a crazy car and zoo trip.  Those trips certainly are different too, if the three of us are able to get together, at least one of our combined posses (we have 6 kids under 6) are having a meltdown or running frantically.  Sometimes it makes me laugh at how crazy our lives have become.  But at night, if we can swing time for a sleepover, with the kids asleep, and we have time to whisper and catch up over a few glasses of beer, It is those moments that get me through to the next time... 

The moments in those trips seem to always get tied to a song we hear on the radio (or in the last case, a song that was playing in the mini-van dvd player).  Those memories and many others are tied to songs that were playing around that time in my life, good memories and not so great memories too. Memories of hanging out with friends or family, or of a particular trip or just a point in time.  I like to think these songs are creating an album of my life.

Every six months or so, our satellite radio will come up for renewal, and my husband and I will have a long chat about the cost and do we really need it.  I convince myself we do, because it is just my little secret, but it was what keeps me in touch the most with those memories of that album of my life.  I'll drop the kids off at school and spend my next 10 minutes, cruising the radio, searching for that perfect song.  And on those hardest mornings (when I barked at one of them to 'rock and roll, we gotta go!', or 1, 2 or 3 of them are crying at drop off, and I'm running late for my first meeting), someone must be watching out for me, because I'm almost guaranteed to hear the 'Friends' theme song, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' or just a little 'Dust on the Bottle" and I go back to those college days, and think, for just one minute, that we're all back there, living together, and having a few too many beers.  To me, that's makes my satellite radio priceless.

So tell me, what songs are creating the album of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment