Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Where I come from...


I grew up in a small town, never flew on an airplane until I was 19.  I think from an early age, I knew that the small town life wasn’t really where I would set my anchor and live.  My parents probably saw it too, they helped me expand my horizons beyond our little town.    I was on statewide boards for our church youth group and met friends from all over the state. 

It's hard to believe that the person I am today, who has flown 320k miles, travelled all of our Europe:  London, Nice, Monaco, Brussels, Finland, who's lived in London, England, Florida, California, lots of places in MN, grew up in that small town with less than 700 people in our town and a graduating class of 19.

Now that I have my own family, I realize that there are some great things to being from a small town, probably the same things that I disliked when I was young. 
·         Everyone knows your business, but that taught me accountability.
·         In order to field sports teams, band, clubs, choir, almost everyone has to participate.  However, I did learn that I wasn’t very sporty early on. But it taught me how to multi-task.
·         Money was tight, but it taught me to importance of working and managing a budget.
·         We were 30 miles from a larger town, but it taught me the importance of planning ahead and creating lists (thanks mom, this will help with my Black Friday planning).
·         Almost everyone went to church, it gave me a strong spiritual back ground and something I knew to some extent I wanted to pass on to my kids.
·         All teenagers had a job, I worked 40-60 hours a week (during the summers) for a great family with 6 kids, that even though I don’t see hardly at all anymore, I get to keep up with their lives via Facebook and think about them more often than they would ever know- and taught me such a strong work ethic.
·         Almost all of the women I knew worked- my mom, my boss (with the 6 kids), my best friend’s mom…  They taught me how to juggle life and to make sure I valued the right things in life.  That I made sure I picked a job and a career that would allow me to balance all of it out.
·         A solid education- while we didn’t get offered as many perks as my kids may get in a larger town (kindergarten computer and biology labs), I received a solid education in the basics that have helped me get to where I am in my life.
·         Great friends- while there are only a few that I still keep in real life contact, there are some I still follow on Facebook and truly care about their lives and their achievements and their kids achievements.  And for those that I still keep in contact with, I still consider them some of my best friends and they are the first people I want to tell about my news, good and bad.

So to all my ‘small town’ family, I think I appreciate you much more than I did 20 years ago, and you provide such a great and welcoming place to visit, and a place for my kids to create such great memories during their summer visits.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment