Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Middle Child

I grew up as a youngest child, with an older brother.  My husband was the oldest of 4.  Neither one of us were middle children and to be honest, if I really stop and think about it, I’m not sure I know many kids that are the middle child, with an older sister and a younger brother.  (other than my mom!)

Now that O keeps growing up and passing her major milestones, I sometimes stop and watch her and try to understand what it feels like to be a middle child- she’s usually not the first to do anything she’s not the last to do anything.  She’s not big enough to do some of the things A gets to do, but she can’t act like a baby like her little brother either.  She has her mom, dad and her big sister bossing her around all of the time and telling her what she should and shouldn’t do.

I do think the one positive that little miss O has going for her is her personality is unmatchable, she calls the shots like she sees them, and she knows to ask for what she wants.  She has a great relationship with her daddy and they are like two peas in a pod.  She’s a great swimmer, she’s great at riding her bike, she’s athletic, and above all, as she says it, she’s cute.

I know she’ll go far, and I also know that I need to take the time to make sure she doesn’t look back and think, being the middle child just wasn’t fair.  She needs to have the same opportunities to try things for the first time.  I think I’ll add that to my project plan and make sure that what she needs to succeed doesn’t get lost in our crazy shuffle.  And we’ll take time to make sure her milestones don’t get passed over because she has her quiet way of just being ready to do them.

We love you O.

No comments:

Post a Comment