Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Breakaway

After Dropping C off on Monday at school (A and O went to work with daddy), I was driving to the office and listening to my Satellite Radio when Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson came on the radio.  It brought back a flood of memories of my leaving Minneapolis over 8 years ago (wow- can’t believe it has been that long!). 

One of the lines, “I won’t forget all the ones that I love.  I’ll take a risk, take a chance, make a change.” still rings so true to me.  I suddenly felt the wind in my hair, as I was jamming in my convertible to that song on repeat with my ‘life’ in the back seat as I said goodbye to Minneapolis and started on the 4 day road trip to San Diego.  I think that solo road trip was what I needed to put some space in between my two life chapters.

Most of my life is as I hoped it would be when I said  goodbye to that stage in my life has gone according to my plan.  Sometimes it is sad that I don’t get to see my old Retek friends nearly as much as I would like, they were such a huge part in making me who I am today. I learned so much from my time there.  I participated in an IPO at 23, wiggled into my career as an Event Manager at 23, bought my first house at 24 and worked with some of the smartest and hardest working (and playing) people that I’ve ever known.  (and probably ever will).  We worked hard and played harder, but I created such a great foundation of what I do and who I am today. 

I think that song came on today to remind me why I made that choice to say make a change and why I wanted to come out to San Diego and give it a shot with my now-husband (who I’ve now known for nearly 18 years).  Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of life with 3 young kids it is easy to take that relationship for granted, which isn’t fair.  So to my husband, I love you and am so glad you’re a part of our life.  I can’t believe all of the things we’ve been through together and I’m glad you’re on this journey with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment